Thursday 4 November 2010

Establishing a target audience

To achieve an understanding of the target audience’s demographics (age, income, occupation etc) and psychographics (interests and personality e.g. image/identity), I have produced a questionnaire to establish what demographic and psychographic I will be targeting within my product. This information will be collected through the questionnaire responses, as I read the results I shall be able to see
  • age of target audience- how will they respond to the text? Based on theories such as the Hypodermic needle theory
  • genre of the magazine- what aspects of the genre would be included within the magazine- how the genre is encoded and decoded by the audience- the image and identity of the magazine and audience- fashion- audience and genre background- any further hobbies or interests linked to this genre of music and the audience related to it- by using already established music magazines within the questionnaire this will benefit myself when applying the psychographics to analyse how they achieve this
  • how many people buy music magazines and how this may affect the production and sales of my magazine
  • what my double page spread will include
Demographic and Psychographics of my magazine
Looking at the results from the questionnaire I can now establish the demographics and psychographics of the target audience, and relate all further work to the decisions made.
 The age of the target audience will be 14-19, meaning the audience of my magazine will be students not yet on their own income, and living at home with their parents.
  The majority of the sample preferred Indie music, I shall now apply all the codes and conventions of the Indie genre to my magazine. The identity of the artists featuring in the magazine will clearly portray the Indie genre through the code of fashion a psychographic of the audience. The majority of the sample were interested in NME magazine this reflects their interests of the music genre and the contents of current magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment